The airline’s Chief Executive Officer Allan Kilavuka said that they will now temporarily suspend all international services effective midnight March 26, until further notice.
“We will continue to operate cargo flights particularly so that we are available to offer emergency services or much needed supplies. In the meantime, our domestic flights to Mombasa and Kisumu remain operational,” Mr Kilavuka said.
The airline said it has been working hard to help passengers return to their homes given the increased travel restrictions across the world.
“We also recognise that these sudden changes have greatly inconvenienced many of our customers and we would like to apologise sincerely for this but hope that we will come back stronger than ever in due course. Customers affected by the suspension will be able to change their bookings for later travel or exchange their booking for vouchers for future travel within 12 months,” Mr Kilavuka said.
Prior to the international flights ban, KQ said it had been forced to reduce its network by over 70 per cent, adding that it had become increasingly difficult to continue offering international passenger services.