1. Sa’ad Abubakar, Sultan of Sokoto, yesterday, sighted the most anticipated moon which serves as a signal for the commencement of the Ramadan fast. The Sultan in a live broadcast on Monday announced that the exercise will begin on Tuesday.
2. At the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) South West Zonal election in Osun Yesterday, a one-time deputy governor of Oyo State, Ambassador Taofeek Arapaja emerged as the zonal chairman of the party.
3. Four persons were reportedly killed, yesterday, when gunmen attacked a community in Ohaukwu Local Government Area of Ebonyi State. Commissioner of Police in the state, Aliyu Garba confirmed the attack.
4. The Federal Ministry of Aviation yesterday, warned of planned attacks across airports in the country. The alert came against the backdrop of recent attacks on Kaduna Airport by kidnappers during which members of staff of the Federal Airport Authority (FAAN) were abducted and the attacks on police stations in Owerri.
5. Former governor of Abia State and Senate Chief Whip, Dr Orji Kalu, has called on the Muslim community to use the holy month of Ramadan to offer prayers for the country. In his goodwill message, the Senate chief whip prayed to Allah to grant the Muslims the strength and peace to sustain the spiritual exercise.
6. Benue Governor, Samuel Ortom, on Monday, condoled President Muhammadu Buhari and the Chief of Army Staff over the killing of 12 military personnel in Bonta Village, Konshisha Local government area of the state. He spoke at the burial, which took place at the Military Cemetery, Wurukum, Makurdi yesterday.
7. The Federal Government, on Monday, inaugurated the visitation panels of 25 Federal Polytechnics and 21 Colleges of Education in the country to ascertain the extent to which the institutions have fulfilled their mandate during the period under review. Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu inaugurated the panel in Abuja yesterday.
8. Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), yesterday, began screening of aspirants for the Anambra governorship election ahead of its primary scheduled for June 26. The Screening Committee was chaired by former Kogi governor, Capt. Idris Wada (retd).
9. The House of Representatives ad hoc committee, investigating the $1billion arms procurement deals, yesterday, summoned the Acting Inspector General of Police, Usman Akali Baba. He is expected to appear before the House on Tuesday.
10. A couple, Alatile and Omowumi Olamilekan were on Monday, arrested for allegedly using hot pressing iron to inflict severe burns on a 12-year-old boy, Gbenga Oreniwon. The Chairman, Yagba West Local Government Area of Kogi State, Pius Kolawole, ordered the arrest of the couple.