This comes two weeks after a devastating double tremor destroyed more than 100,000 buildings, killed more than 46,000 people and displaced over a million.The 6.3-magnitude quake struck near the town of Uzunbag in Turkey’s Hatay Province just after 5 p.m. local time, according to the United States Geological Survey, the NewYorkTimes reported.
Read More: Regional Cooperation Tops Agenda at AU Summit 2023
According to reports, the Sheraton hotel in the city of Adana, where a number of buildings had collapsed in the initial quake, families crammed into elevators with their luggage to evacuate the building. Residents in the quake zone in Turkey have been warned by authorities to stay away from damaged structures.
Serkan Topal, a Turkish lawmaker who was in Hatay during Monday’s earthquake, told is reported to have said that “I am afraid there are casualties,” without specifying if he meant dead or wounded. Turkey’s Halk TV reported. The new quake could exacerbate the challenge of providing shelter to survivors still in the area, he said.
Hatay’s governor, Rahmi Dogan, told the state-run Anadolu news agency that the authorities were scanning the city for possible destruction and that residents had appealed for help.
Read More: Aso Rock Extends Use of Old Naira Notes Amid Cash Crisis
Speaking to reporters in Ankara, the Turkish capital, Vice President Fuat Oktay said that eight people had been injured and warned residents of the quake zone to stay away from damaged buildings.
Turkey’s disaster management said this week that more than 6,000 aftershocks had hit the 11 provinces that make up the disaster zone in the days since the initial quakes of early February.